Technically a loaf or quick bread, this coconut bread is easy to make, moist, and full of coconut flavour. Keeps well in the freezer. I slice it first, then it’s easy to pry off a couple of slices and thaw in the microwave whenever you have a sweet craving. Coconut lovers will thank you for this one!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with waxed paper or parchment. Although not technically necessary, I then spray it with cooking oil to make sure nothing sticks to the paper.
Cream butter and sugar together in mixing bowl. Beat in eggs. Then mix in milk, vanilla, and coconut flavoring.
To the wet mixture, add the coconut, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until blended.
Once batter has no pockets of dry ingredients showing, scrape it into your prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 – 70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. If your oven runs a little hot, reduce the heat to 325 degrees F, and cook for 65 to 75 minutes. This will prevent it from getting too brown.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove to rack to finish cooling. We couldn’t wait! It’s good right away, and even better the next day. If you still have any left after a day, slice it and freeze it in a freezer bag. You can separate the slices with wax paper to make it easier to pull out one slice at a time. Warm slightly in microwave to serve (although it’s good cold too).
A moist, delicious loaf for coconut lovers.
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp coconut flavouring
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup fine or short-shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend the butter and sugars together in mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in milk, vanilla and coconut flavour.
- Add to bowl the coconut, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until blended.
- Scrape into greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 60 to 70 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set on rack, covered with a clean tea towel to finish cooling.
- Wrap as soon as it’s cool, and keep wrapped in the fridge or freezer to store.