Hamburger and Macaroni Casserole
Old fashioned comfort food in a casserole dish. This is one great way to make a pound of hamburger go a long way. It has the unique spice combination of chili powder and allspice in the tomato sauce, so it has that “little something” in the flavour that is hard to put your finger on. Different, but really good! Give it a try. It may become a family favorite for your family too.
This is one of the very first recipes I ever asked someone for. I was 11 or 12 years old, and was spending a week’s vacation with another family. The Mom made this dish, and I loved it so much, I actually asked her to write out the recipe so I could ask my Mom to make it! I realize now that might have been in bad taste, but my Mom took it with good humour. When I got married and started making my own meals, this went into my regular rotation. I still make it, and my daughters make it now for their families too. It’s one of those recipes that will never go out of style, and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like it.
Stir in the canned tomatoes and the tomato soup.
Then stir in the spices. Let this mixture simmer while the macaroni cooks. In a separate pot, cook macaroni in boiling salted water.
Drain macaroni and add to the pan. Then stir in cheese.
Pour into greased casserole dish, and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour.
And Voila! A yummy casserole that was easy to make, and is easy on the budget. My family likes cheese a lot, so I used to sprinkle extra grated cheddar cheese on the top, and pop it back in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese, about 5 to 10 minutes.
And below is your easy to print recipe. Enjoy!
Old fashioned comfort food in a casserole dish. This is one great way to make a pound of hamburger go a long, long way.
Servings: Serves 6 – 8
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 med onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups macaroni (uncooked measure)
- 1 19-oz can tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 1 can tomato soup plus 1/2 can water
- 1 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (pack lightly to measure)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown hamburger on med-high in large pan. Drain fat by pouring into paper towel lined large casserole dish. (you will use this same dish to cook the casserole.)
- In same fry pan, saute onion and celery on med heat till soft. Add hamburger back to pan (discard paper towels). Add canned tomatoes, tomato soup and spices to pan and stir well. Simmer on low heat while cooking macaroni.
- Bring water to boil in large pot. Cook macaroni just until tender. Drain well. Add to hamburger and sauce in pan.
- Stir in cheese and pour mixture into large casserole dish. Cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.