Orange Pumpkin Pie
This was my Mom’s recipe and is the taste that I expect from pumpkin pie. The orange zest and juice brightens up the bland pumpkin, making it perfectly balanced. In my opinion, it is the best pumpkin pie ever! Try this it with my Brandy Spiked Whipped Cream. Yum!
Here is my Basic Pastry recipe.
1. Start with a deep, uncooked pie shell
2. Grate orange rind into medium bowl
3. You also need some orange juice, so you might as well use the juice from the orange you have used the rind from. If you don’t get 1/2 cup, just top up with water
4. Then add the rest of the ingredients, starting with the pumpkin and the eggs
5. And the milk, juice, water, and spices
6. Pour the filling into the pie shell
7. And put the pie into the oven at 450 degrees – just 15 minutes to start browning the crust, then turn it down to 325 and bake for another 45 to 55 minutes until it is set in the middle
For The Recipe: Printer Friendly Version
This is the pumpkin pie that my Mom used to make. The orange perks up the pumpkin just enough to make it perfect. This is the flavor that I remember from my childhood. No Thanksgiving is complete without this pie!
- one 9 or 10 inch, deep unbaked pie shell (see recipe for pie crust)
- 14 oz can (about 1 & 1/2 to 1 & 3/4 cups) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- grated rind of 1 small orange
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grate orange rind into medium bowl. Add eggs, and beat well. Add all remaining ingredients and stir well with whisk. Pour into 9 or 10 inch, deep unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes, then turn down to 325 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 55 minutes, or until center is set.
- Cool completely for several hours before cutting.
- Serve with whipped cream.