Oven Roasted Asparagus
I love roasting vegetables in the oven because it brings out the natural sugars, and kills the natural bitterness of vegetables. Topped with a garlicky cheese mixture just makes it even better. Asparagus was the first vegetable I ever tried cooking with this method, and it has become a favorite that I go back to often. Since I am cooking for just two of us, the amounts are small, but it’s easy to double or even triple the recipe with no extra work and no change in cooking times. Definitely give this one a try!
I don’t have pictures of the washing and trimming of the asparagus. Once you have done that, put then in a pile on your baking sheet and drizzle a couple of teaspoons of a good olive oil over top. You may use your fingers to mix them up to make sure that all the stalks are evenly coated with oil. Sprinkle with salt (Herbamare or sea salt) and pepper, and place into a preheated 375 degree oven. After 15 minutes, take them out and turn them over in the pan.
While the asparagus cooks, stir together one large crushed and minced garlic clove, 1 heaping teaspoon Parmesan cheese and 1 heaping teaspoon herbed Feta crumbles. After 15 minutes in the oven, remove asparagus and turn over the the pan. Sprinkle cheese/garlic mixture over the top of the asparagus and put it back into the oven for 3 minutes more.
After 3 minutes, remove the asparagus from the oven and serve immediately. Scoop up any little pieces of cheese that have fallen off onto the pan and serve on top of the asparagus. Doesn’t that look yummy? It really was!
Oven roasting brings out the natural sweetness and kills the bitterness of this vegetable. Melted garlicky cheese on top makes it even better. This has quickly become a favorite in our household.
- 1 handful fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- sprinkle Herbamare seasoning salt (or just use sea salt)
- sprinkle fresh ground pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 heaping teaspoon Herbed Feta cheese crumbles
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place asparagus down onto a baking sheet in a little heap and sprinkle with olive oil. Toss the stalks around a bit to coat evenly with the oil. Spread out into a single layer.
- Sprinkle Herbamare (or sea salt) and pepper evenly over asparagus. Put pan into preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meantime, crush and dice the garlic clove and put it into a small bowl with the two cheeses. Mix it well.
- After 15 minutes, take the asparagus out of the oven, turn the stalks over, and sprinkle the cheese and garlic mixture over the top. Put the asparagus back into the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Scoop up any cheese that falls off onto the pan, and serve it along with the asparagus.
The best way to remove the tough, woody ends is to grab the stalk of asparagus with one hand at the bottom and the other hand half-way up the stalk. Slowly bend until it snaps. It will naturally snap where it starts to get tough.